Stress is a common problem that affects everyone, and for children, it can have lasting effects. This course aims to help children identify stress, manage it effectively, and develop positive coping strategies. The course guides the students through the causes of stress, physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms of stress, recognizing stress triggers, and coping strategies to manage stress. Kids taking this course learn about time management, goal setting, and relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation and visualization exercises. Through role-playing scenarios, journaling, and mindfulness exercises, kids learn how they can communicate assertively, express their emotions effectively, and build healthy, supportive relationships. The course also provides the children with ways for preventing stress by building resilience and positive thinking.
What Will You Learn?
- Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- 1. Define stress, identify common stressors, and distinguish between healthy and unhealthy stress
- 2. Determine physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms of stress, and implement stress-reducing strategies.
- 3. Identify stress triggers, and create stress trigger graphs and personal stress management plans.
- 4. Understand mindfulness techniques to reduce stress, manage time through goal setting, and relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation, visualization exercises, and affirmations.
- 5. Understand how to communicate assertively to manage conflicts and relationships, and effectively express emotions in healthy ways.
- 6. Understand strategies for building resilience and positive thinking to prevent stress.
- 7. Develop healthy personal lifestyle habits, including prioritizing self-care, healthy communication patterns, and developing relationships with a diverse set of peers.
- 8. Implement strategies for preventing and reducing stress that work for the individual student, and strategies that can be utilized throughout their lives.
- 9. Cultivate skills promoting empathy, respect, understanding, and responsibility towards self and others.
- 10. Demonstrate improvement in mood, social behavior, and overall well-being.
Module 1: Identifying Stress
What is Stress and How Does it Affect Us
Identifying Stress Triggers
Module 2: Managing Stress
Techniques for Managing Stress
Time Management and Goal Setting
Module 3: Coping with Stress
Positive Coping Strategies
Module 4: Stress and Relationships
Maintaining Supportive Relationships
Module 5: Preventing Stress
Relaxation and Mindfulness Techniques